This is a great interview with Dr. Paul Barattiero, founder of Synergy Science and the Echo H2 Water Machine.
What is hydrogen water and why drink it?
I asked myself the same question when I was introduced to this concept about 3 years ago and I am reminded of the same feelings I have when I introduce the concept to people.
My first thought was chemistry (my major was Human Physiology and my minor was chemistry). Water is just H2O. Or in other words, two parts hydrogen and one-part oxygen. How can you add more hydrogen? Would it be H3O? (That would be the hydronium ion, which does happen naturally with little know effects on the body). No. It’s actually a lot simpler than that.
Hydrogen water is simply purified water (Synergy Science’s filters remove every toxin known to man from heavy metals to glyphosate) with hydrogen gas dissolved in the water. So chemically it is H20 and H2. The machines work by splitting water via electrolysis into hydrogen and oxygen (through a selective proton membrane). Oxygen is released into the atmosphere as a biproduct and the hydrogen is added back into the water.
Why? Here is the shortest answer I can give. Under normal circumstances, the bacteria in your gut (aka normal flora) is supposed to be producing up to 10 L of hydrogen per day. Your body uses that hydrogen for every single biochemical reaction in your body. The problem arises when we don’t take care of our guts. Refined foods, overuse of pharmaceutical drugs, pesticides, stress, and chemical exposure all lead to a breakdown in our normal flora. When our normal flora (which is mostly anaerobic) is compromised, it is replaced with aerobic flora, and we stop producing hydrogen.
Chronic disease can happen when you don’t have enough hydrogen to sustain homeostasis.
So what’s the big deal about hydrogen? Hydrogen acts as a selective antioxidant to help reduce oxidative stress and hydrogen acts as a neuro protectant.
Oxidative stress occurs when free radicals and antioxidants become unbalanced. Free radicals (often referred to as Reactive Oxidative Species, or ROS) are unstable molecules that damage our own tissue. The hydroxyl radical (OH-) is one of is one of the most damaging ROS to the human body, especially in the mitochondria of our cells. One of the ways that hydroxyl can be formed is via electromagnetic field (EMF) radiation. The EMF radiation given off by 5G networks enters your cells and splits water into a Hydrogen proton and OH- (hydroxyl). Adding hydrogen back into your body protects you from this happening.
Hydrogen also upregulates your body’s ghrelin production. Ghrelin is a hormone that is a well-known neuroprotectant that we have discussed in other posts.
The effects of hydrogen are well documented in over 750 studies. Here are the 5 main benefits of hydrogen with associated studies.
- Hydrogen water improves your cognitive and brain function. In a study published by Medical Gas Research, it was stated that “In healthy individuals, aging, job stress, and cognitive load over several hours also induce increases in oxidative stress, suggesting that preventing the accumulation of oxidative stress caused by daily stress and daily work contributes to maintaining QOL and ameliorating the effects of aging.”
In this double blinded, placebo-controlled study, 13 individuals were given hydrogen water and 13 were given regular water as the placebo.
According to the study, “Change ratios (post-treatment/pre-treatment) for K6 score and sympathetic nerve activity during the resting state were significantly lower after HRW administration than after PLW administration. These results suggest that HRW may reinforce Quality of Life through effects that increase central nervous system functions involving mood, anxiety, and autonomic nerve function.”
Multiple studies (see hydrogenstudies.com) have also shown that hydrogen water acts up-regulates neuroprotective mechanisms that are helpful in Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s, Dementia, Stroke, TBI, Depression, and anxiety.
- Hydrogen water has been shown to regenerative benefits in wound healing. A study from Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity from 2016 showed that rats with palatal wounds that were given hydrogen water healed “significantly faster” than those that were given regular water through the activation of NrF2/antioxidant defense pathway.
- Hydrogen water can also serve to help regulate and strengthen your immune system. In a zebra fish study, hydrogen water was shown to have an inhibitory affect on inflammatory immune response gyens (IL-B, IL-6, and NF-kB) and it also upregulated the anti-inflammatory genese for IL-10 in the spleen, kidney, and liver. The researchers further showed that hydrogen water had an antimicrobial affect.
Other studies have shown that drinking hydrogen water can support the microbes in your gut. This is important because 70-80% of your immune system is in your gut. In a study published in Medical Gas Research, mice that were given hydrogen rich water had more bacteria in their cecum and more abundant short chain fatty acids, a sure sign of healthy fermentation of fiber and starch by the microbiota.
- Hydrogen water improves the function of the mitochondria in your cells. The mitochondria are the major source of cellular energy. Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS that we described earlier) is a natural by-product of cellular metabolism. Our cells have a natural anti-oxidant system built in to protect itself. When this system is out of balance, energy production drops.
A study published in 2020 in the Canadian Journal of Physilogic Pharmacology states:
“Molecular hydrogen (H2) has been proved as beneficial in the prevention and therapy of various diseases including cardiovascular disorders. It selectively scavenges hydroxyl radical and peroxynitrite, reduces oxidative stress, and has anti-inflammatory and anti-apoptotic effects.”
That same study found that hydrogen water “increase ATP production via mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation. Our results indicate that H2 may function to prevent/treat disease states with disrupted myocardial mitochondrial function.”
In other words, they found that hydrogen water increases cellular energy by reducing oxidative stress in the mitochondria.
- Hydrogen water improves your endurance. In a study published in the International Journal of Sports Medicine, researchers performed a randomized, double blinded placebo-controlled cross over study with 12 healthy males. Half were given regular water and half were given hydrogen rich water 30 minutes before a prescribed work out. What the researchers found was “acute pre-exercise supplementation of HRW reduced blood lactate at higher intensities, improved exercise-induced perception of effort, and ventilatory efficiency.”
Why drink hydrogen water? I have given you 5 solid reasons backed by research. There are hundreds more. Because hydrogen water acts as an antioxidant and as a signal modulator for the upregulation of ghrelin, it is safe to say that drinking hydrogen water has positive health benefits for every single system in the human body.
To purchase the Echo H2 water machine, click here.